04/07/18Have you Booked a Luxury Bed and Breakfast for Festival of Speed?
Have you Booked a Luxury Bed and Breakfast for Festival of Speed?
Festival of Speed 2018
Starting humbly as a one-day event back in June 1993, now one of Goodwood’s flagship events set in the surroundings of the incredible South Downs National Park and having giving birth to its vintage counterpart Goodwood Revival, the Festival of Speed has crossed the line as one of Chichester largest tourist attractions and a hit the world over.
To observe this quarter century milestone, at “Festival of Speed – The Silver Jubilee”, the Duke of Richmond (formerly Lord March) is set to select 25 highlights from the first 25 events. Alongside magnificent machines from motoring’s past and present, the Duke’s favourite moments and a healthy dose of motor-racing nostalgia will be at the heart of the 2018 Festival of Speed.
Another opportunity for automobile aficionados to pay homage to the greatest ground-breakers in motorsport, from Stirling Moss to Lewis Hamilton and all the legends in-between, Goodwood will welcome the chief names, machines, brands and manufacturers together in one place for one gloriously gratifying weekend.
A motoring milestone
Something to look forward to at this year’s Festival of Speed is Roborace’s first attempt at a hill climb. After becoming a star at last year’s FoS Future Lab, it was decided that such a milestone event at a milestone event would be most fitting!
A fully autonomous race car weighing in at 1350kg and powered by four 135kW electric motors – and a technological innovation that would give Knight Rider’s KITT a run for his money – Robocar will negotiate hay bales and flint walls to face Goodwood’s 1.16-mile track using automated systems including sensors that provide the machine with 360-degree vision of its immediate surroundings.
Visitors will be able to experience the legendary hill climb from the Robocar’s view-point in a fully immersive VR experience located inside Future Lab, which will this year focus on space exploration and more autonomous transport options with a wide range of displays and interactive demos.
Festival of Speed main features.
- The Hillclimb – To witness cars such as the Jaguar XJR-12D, Nissan 350Z GT500 and Subaru Impreza “Gobstopper II” bombing it up the punishing iconic hill climb is a spectacle relished by petrolheads. Hailed as “the platform to show off modern and heritage cars”, this main Festival of Speed feature was inspired by Freddie March’s (Ninth Duke of Richmond) hill climb event for the Lancia Car Club in 1936.
- F1 Paddock – This is the place to get up close and personal with the latest in F1 technology as well as the sport’s top talent including the likes of Nico Rosberg and Jackie Stewart.
- Michelin Supercar Paddock – Here you’ll find the sleekest, chicest and most advanced supercars and hypercars gathered for your delectation.
- Style et Luxe – Escape the hustle and bustle of the Hillclimb at the Cartier Style et Luxe Lawn, a showcase of elegant showstoppers where silent engines emanate elegance.
- Central Feature – Encapsulating the spirit of each Festival of Speed, the central feature is a magnificent focal point. This year, Porsche will make their third appearance in front of Goodwood House with a celebration of seven decades’ manufacturing spectacular sports cars.
Festival of Speed action areas:
- Goodwood Action Sports – The finest high-flying adrenaline junkies from around the world “defy the laws of gravity in a display of jaw-dropping stunts on two wheels”. Freestyle Motocross, Trials, BMX, and Mountain Bike riders will show off their skills on a specialist course of jumps to delight crowds.
- Rally Stage – Get down and dirty, see cars go airborne and take your chance to get in a tailspin at the Festival of Speed’s popular rally stage.
- Aviation and Air Displays – From the iconic sight of ‘The Red Arrows’ colourful aerobatics to the iconic sound of a climbing Spitfire to helicopter trips and Goodwood’s Aviation Museum, there’s something for every flight-fanatic on each day of the weekend event.
- Off-road Arena – Get a taste for the best off-road beasts out there as drivers push monster machines to their limits. You could even climb into a Yamaha YXZ1000 and experience it for yourself!
Festival of Speed past
The very first Festival of Speed, held on Sunday 20 June 1993, was the brainchild of Lord March who wanted to return to motor racing to the Goodwood Estate, which is itself steeped in a rich motoring heritage.
Starting by inviting a select few historic vehicles to race around a track with the stunning backdrop of Goodwood House and the South Downs beyond – and attracting a crowd of more than 25,000, despite clashing with that year’s 23 Hours of Le Mans event – the Festival started at pace, as it meant to go on.
With past themes including ‘Peaks of Performance – Motorsport’s Game-Changers’ (2017), Full Throttle – The Endless Pursuit of Power (2016), ‘Flat out and Fearless: Racing on the Edge’ (2015), this year’s “Festival of Speed – The Silver Jubilee” is sure to be an engine-revving event to remember. In fact, 2018 is also the 20th Anniversary of Goodwood Revival, which takes place 7-9 September and promises a full-throttle weekend to rejoice Goodwood’s golden era of motoring history.
Stay in the lap of luxury at Quay Quarters.
Make sure you stay in the lap of luxury while you visit this year’s Festival of Speed. The Quay Quarters crew offers breathtakingly beautiful luxury bed and breakfast accommodation in our country cottage farmhouse, just a pebble’s throw from Chichester Harbour and An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. We also have five luxury holiday cottages that sleep from two to six occupants, so are perfect for a motorsport-mad family or a group of petrolhead chums.
Never mind getting into 5th gear, Quay Quarters boasts 5-star holiday cottages and B&B accommodation in idyllic surroundings that’s only a 5 miles away (20 minutes by car) from Goodwood! Make sure you’re first past the flag to make a booking with us today and get your Festival of Speed break off to tyre-smoking start.